Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Life Interrupted

I was on a good roll with writing, but then I let other life needs interrupt. In the end it worked out fine because I did something else I love to do.

I did a lot of writing/editing at the end of last week knowing I would spend Saturday doing things with my husband and getting out of the house. It turned into a great day together with a lot of shopping for things we needed and splurging for a few things we wanted.

We acquired a piece of molding, stain and polyurethane for finishing the bookshelves my husband has been working on for the winter. Since he had to work overtime Sunday evening, I decided to start the staining. I had no desire to sit down, which ruled out any editing I had planned to do. I cranked up "The Message" on XM radio and set out to see how the staining would go. Setup is always a little tedious, but once I got on a roll, I kept on going. Next thing I knew it was nine o'clock and I had everything assembled thus far stained.

I decided to continue with the polyurethane on Monday after work. Three hours later, the glossy shine and the oils of the polyurethane had made the grain pop out all the more on the oak wood. The golden oak stain with the glossy polyurethane finish had proven a good choice.

Of course, this led to my husband trying to tell me I was in a hurry for my book shelves. I told him I had a lot of fun doing it, so figured I might as well go to the end before cleaning up. I think he felt more upset due to not accomplishing as much on a work day as I can. I had to remind him that he gets up with me at breakfast after only five hours of sleep and then he needs to go back to get the remaining 2 or 3 after I leave. If he didn't do this, we would really feel like ships passing in the night with our different work shifts. This leaves him with 2 or 3 hours to put into a project before work around everything else. I usually have 5 to 6 hours straight to use after work.

So I may have some nicely stained bookshelves, but I had to just chill last night. I need to do some writing tonight. These past four days put me behind the insanity of NaNoEdMo and accomplishing 50 hours of editing in the month of March. I also want to finish another homework assignment this week. After looking over the critiques of my inspirational article again, I feel inspired to crank out the suggested changes I feel would work for my writing style and submit the revision for a final critique.

Now, I did manage to critique three more chapters of a novel for a member over at the Christian Writers Forum. That is just as important to me as getting my own writing done. It actually helps me look at my writing differently knowing what a critiquer should look for.

Crazy me also has the next writing how-to book for our Missing Pages Book Club and I need to read some of it for tomorrow night's discussion. I could not make any sense out of it last night, but I think my brain is recovering from whatever had it sleeping last night.

This all proves writing is a huge part of my life now and it feels weird to take some time off from it to do something else.

No comments: