Monday, February 18, 2008

Off and Running

It's been busy since last Wednesday.

The husband took Thursday off so we could spend some time together since we don't work the same hours. We went out to dinner, it was both good and bad. I should have stopped with the fritters and skipped the steak. One piece was good, but one definitely was not. We were home fairly early where we just lounged for a bit, but we were both pretty tired. He fell asleep trying to read and I wound up chatting with Julie over at Christian Writers Forum for the usual Thursday night book chat. It wound up being just the two of us, but we chatted away most of the hour.

Somewhere over the weekend I managed to pull off completion of another scene in young adult novel idea I have started. I feel more comfortable working on this rather than trying to edit a sci fi thing I pulled out from six years ago. I am using it for my fiction writing assignments that I am now working on in the Christian Writers Guild apprenticeship even if the sci fi was used in the recent screenwriting assignments.

Of course, the first fiction assignment was a letter to a reader who views things way different than you do and then a parable. I found that letter hard even if at one time I was on a way different path that did not agree with where I am now. We'll see what my mentor has to say about it. At least the next assignment is going to be way easier even if it will take a lot longer to complete.

My current entry that is posted for the FaithWriters weekly challenge about "spilt milk" has received several great comments and was selected a jewel by this weeks jewelers. Of course, I have to wait until Thursday to see where I really placed. In the mean time I actually cranked out a rough draft for "Don't bite off your nose to spite your face" challenge. It actually uses the MC (main character for those who don't know) from a previous challenge entry. It stands alone, but it follows right along with where the MC wound up next. I left the rough draft for the husband to read when he gets home. He at least gives me an honest opinion and can point out general things, like wording he don't understand.

I've had two people give me some great ideas to play with for the article they critiqued for me. I like most of the ideas given and knew there would be some wording and grammar mistakes I missed. I'll be leaving it a bit longer for any further critiques people may do before editing and posting with edits for a final review. I'm hoping to submit it by the end of March.

Now it is almost bed time, so I can be ready for another day of work. If only it could seem as productive as my writing lately. I've got a lot done, but not feeling like it really is geting me anywhere or that it matters. I actually have to make people fix things tomorrow because they can't even fill out paperwork consistantly so it actually agrees on all forms.

No comments: