Sunday, February 10, 2008

Patience Test

I get plenty of tests on patience. I learn a little. I slip some. I get better. Then I blow it.

Now the great thing about all these little tests is that I try my patience more than anybody else does. A lot of things that used to annoy me that others did do not have the same affect. Most of these I can blow off and go on now. However, when I'm trying to do something and it just keeps getting messed up, I get ornery. Not a good thing at all.

Latest example:

I'm trying to post a critique over at the Christian Writers Forum which I belong to. After the fourth try of my numb hands messing up and making the post disappear, I got angry and yelled at my computer. Does this help? Absolutely not. Did it make it harder to accomplish? Absolutely.

How did this wind up harder even if I did get it on the next (fifth) try? Well, I had to go reassure all the pets that mommy was not yelling at them. I got the fraidy cat all huggled up first. Found the alpha male kitty just thinking I'm loco as usual. I could NOT find the 120 pound dog. There are not many places for a 120 pound dog to hide. Actually there really is only one in the whole house where he might feel like he is closed in and safe: the bathtub! So I had to convince the big, ole puppy I was not yelling at him either and he did come out of the bathroom. He did nervously look for his daddy who was at work, but then finally calmed down because I had calmed down.

So even if you are utterly alone and fly off the handle due to a lack of patience with your own efforts, it still messes with your whole world and you will need to sort it out before moving on.

No comments: