Thursday, February 7, 2008

Run Down But Not Run Out

I'm definitely run down by a crazy work schedule and the fight against a cold. However, I've learned a lot of cool stuff at work and I've definitely not run out of ideas for writing.

I received 8th place in intermediate at Faithwriters for the challenge of "All that glitters is not gold" and I have an entry in for "A man is known by the company he keeps" or at least that is my close paraphrasing to the exact topic. Now to wrap my brain around the idea that it isn't worth crying over spilt milk. I love these challenges that invigorate the brain and really don't take long to write. The good thing is they keep me writing even on weeks I don't get much else cranked out.

I do have an article I would love to have my critiquing buddies check out before I submit it. After checking out three different types of articles on the same topic for various course assignments, I found that one needed little editing to make a nice inspirational article. It also had great comments by my mentor about it. However, it was originally written as an exposition instead of inspirational. Sad thing is, she really liked the article, but I didn't quite cut the grade of exposition thus leaving it more inspirational. Well, it appears to have been in the form it was truly met to be. I just need a few more eyes and opinions to make sure its truly tweaked to its fullest potential. This will be the first thing I'll submit for a serious publishing attempt. Gotta start somewhere!

On the long winded side of things, I have this novel I've been toying with which I pulled out a few weeks ago. I used the story to do some screenplay assignments in my writing course. This has led to an interesting observation. I already knew that part of the book was written before I even thought of becoming a Christian and the rest came out in that first year as I learned who Jesus really was. That definitely shows, but even more than I thought. There is so much worldly stuff, including sex (not explicit, but obvious enough), in that first part.

So I'm actually finding myself wanting to tone some of this down, but not wanting to totally delete either. The whole character arc will get skewed otherwise. It mirrors how many people really are before they really accept Christ and then how their views change step by step as they learn to walk with Him.

It even mirrors my change. Some things hit like a ton of bricks and you have to change them immediately. Others take little steps over time only to reveal there is something underneath to work on next. I equate my walk with Christ and getting to know Him better with an onion. The outer layers are bigger and come off easier. As you go deeper they seem to not peel as easy and your eyes water with the effort. Our trials will peel our onions. Somewhere under all our selfish layers there will be the true center of what God intended us to be. I'm still peeling and crying both tears of heartache and joy as I learn.

So never stop peeling your onion. There are some cool things deep in there waiting to come out. God does not make junk. =D

No comments: