Monday, February 25, 2008

It's Been a Whole Week

It's interesting how time can fly. Between work, writing, family, and church, I can fill a week up pretty good.

I received honorable mention in intermediate for the challenge that ended this past Thursday. I'm getting encouraging comments on the one that can be read now. I'm not much of a short term and short worded writer, but these challenges are helping a lot on both counts. I still need to write up what I plan on posting before this coming Thursday for this week's challenge of "Actions Speak Louder than Words".

I signed up for NaNoEdMo which starts this Saturday, March 1st. The goal is to take a novel you have written and see if you can manage to spend 50 hours working on editing it for the month. I decided to try this for two reasons: I have this sci fi novel I really like, but needs work, and it would be interesting to actually log the time used for editing to see how much time things really do take. So maybe by the end of March I'll have those things I need to change figured out and I'll also know how much time I can put into editing a novel in a month around other writing things. I still have a few more lessons to complete for the apprenticeship course. I have to critique at least one thing a week while I have my inspirational article up for critiquing. I plan on revising it and reposting the revised version to have it complete by the end of March, as well.

To make life more interesting, a project I am assisting with at work has me changing shifts randomly. Not for the worse, mind you. I actually can come to work when my husband does during the project. On the downside it winds up going into weekends a lot. So an attempt at a three day weekend this coming weekend has been cancelled. I know I'll definitely have to work Friday night, but I'm hoping if things don't have the same bumps in the road as last time I may not have to come in Saturday or Sunday. Time will tell on this.

All this project means is readjusting the times I do my writing, plus working it around when the husband is doing something. Usually I am home alone during the week and so is he. We wind up like ships passing in the night though he does get up to have breakfast with me before napping a bit to get all his sleep.

A young adult adventure novel I have started will get attention through my fiction writing homework for the apprenticeship course. However, it isn't going to see extra time while I try to edit the sci fi novel in March. I'll have one of the main character sketches done and an outline by the end of this week for an assignment. I've never done an outline for anything, but I'm going to be doing one for the YA novel for homework. I'm thinking of doing one for the sci fi novel as well so I can figure out how to tweak the plot and character arc so they work better. Both will be an interesting test for me and my writing.

To top things off, my lethargic self (I'm on a computer at work and at home with what I do) needs to eat less and move more. So its time to push through the getting lazy bit to exercise some and I need to eat less. I'm eating far too many calories. At this rate I'll be having to buy bigger clothes and I don't want to. I actually have some clothes I used to fit in before I was disabled last winter. Exercise will help the physical problem that remains to. Even so, I'm not finding it easy to get started and keep going even if once I do get going, I love it.

So throw in the exercise of at least half an hour five days a week to the list at the beginning. I'm really not sure how this will all work out, but I do need to put the exercise stuff in the schedule better.

No comments: